AT A GLANCE:
- Impresario Since: August, 2018
- Project: Instituto K'anil (high school and computer lab)
- Location: K'anil, Momostenango, Guatemala
K'anil is a small out of the way pueblo near Momostenango. It guards a sad and beautiful story: a story of loss, perseverance, and love for its inhabitants.
Recently First Things Foundation was invited to see the school in K'anil. The trip is long - almost 40 minutes in a flete along dirt roads. The school at first glance is new, but we quckly found out they only recently finished building an elementary school. Secondary school has to wait and share the school rooms later in the day.
After a few meetings and getting to know the Parents Committee a little better, FTF Field Workers felt comforatable moving forward with community. We set up a time and did a little filming for them and expect an interview to come out soon in the near future, telling a little of the story behind the village.
The community is fighting to create the first secondary in the area - which would potentialy be serving the 100+ kids currently in elementary. The first step is spreading the word and building interest through this profile. If you would like to get involved don't hesitate to reach out to learn more.
NEWS AND UPDATES:
- The local village governing body has donated the old "town hall" for use in building a secondary school.
- The Parents Committee is also looking to build a computer lab - the only one until you reach Momostenango proper.
- Plans for scholarships to propel students on to further education have also been discussed.
*For all ideas our suggestions, please fill out the form below and the appropriate field worker will get in touch with you.
DONATED BUILDING AND AREA:
SOME OF THE PEOPLE:
GET INVOLVED DIRECTLY:
Think you can help with opening doors and making connections for this dream? Use this form to contact the field worker currently collaborating on this project and get in touch!